Friday 25 November 2016

A/W 2016 London Haul!




Last Saturday I went to London to see P!ATD perform at the Alexandra Palace... OMG it was so goddamn good! Bredon Urie has the voice of an angel and absolutely killed it + Sophie, Dan and I had a massive laugh over the fact we were some of the oldest there that weren't chaperoning children (apparently P!ATD appeal to a young audience nowadays...) but on the plus side the Bar was basically empty the entire evening! 

So OBVIOUSLY because we had to travel to London anyway we decided to make a day of it do some shopping, have some lunch and meet up with Sophie who lives just outside of Central (and is totally smashing life right now) for a browse around Oxford Street. 

So obviously I had to share what I brought as hauls don't come very often over here on Bambi's Blogs.  

LUSH OXFORD STREET



Lord of Misrule - £3.95
This is a Lush classic, and shockingly, I've never used it before. I don't know why but previously when I've sniffed it in store, it's never really appealed to me. It smelt a little too much like wet leaves to me and I just didn't get it. But this year. Oh boy, did it kick me in the face this year when I picked it up! It's spicy, rich and so deliciously autumnal it is the perfect autumn bath bomb and I am in love. You can tell I loved it because I bought two of them and I never do that. 

I usually cut up my bath bombs to get multiple uses out of them (unemployed graduate life) but this one demanded to be used whole and I am soo glad I did. As soon as you put the ballistic in the water it starts to fizz and emits plumes of green and pink foam which are really beautiful to watch. After a couple of minutes in the hot water, you will start to hear cracking and popping, that's because this little beauty is loaded with popping candy which is quite an unusual experience, especially when you're not expecting it and worry that you bath is breaking 🙈

Once the bath bomb has finished fizzing and fully dissolved you're left with a beautiful wine coloured bath, as photographed below (I was going to upload this to my Insta but I didn't like it enough. Yes that is the side of my thigh 💁




Satsuma Bath Bomb (Christmas Oxford Street Exclusive) - £3.95
This is rather self-explanatory and indeed smells just like a satsuma, it's fruity, fresh, citrusy and somehow it smells very Christmassy despite the fruitiness and lacking the spicy element that I associate with the season. I've not used this yet, but I think it's safe to assume that this is going to create a bright orange bath - I think it would be amazing paired with You've Been Mangoed.


Monsieur Gustave Bath Melt (Oxford Street Exclusives) £2
It's becoming a habit of mine now to pick up a couple of the exclusive bath melts every time I go to Oxford Street. I love bath melts and I think they are so brilliantly versatile and I always get a couple of uses out of them as I tend to mix them with a bath bomb or bubble bar. This one has what I can only describe as a blackcurrant/musky smell. I can't really describe it so it's definitely one to go and smell in person. What sold it for me was the prospect of having a glittery purple bath.


Lime Pastille Bath Melt (Oxford Street Exclusive) £2
The second of the aforementioned bath melts. This, as the name would suggest, smells like lime sherbert. It's a beautiful fresh crisp smell that is definitely more appropriate for the summer months but it was too good to pass it up! Although, I could imagine this working very nicely with So White Bath Bomb. 


Can we appreciate the beauty of that YA section in Foyles THO. ^  

I also indulged my other love whilst in London, books. Dan and I have got book shopping in London down to a precise art now and we know exactly what big bookstores and second-hand bookstores we love. We didn't have heaps of time to spend today so my favourite second-hand bookshops were missed and instead we focused on my favourite three... Foyles, Forbidden Planet & the Piccadilly Waterstones (or as I call it, Heaven).  




The Wicked & The Divine - Fandemonium Pt. 2 - £0.00 -  Forbidden Planet
All of the inner fangirl comes out when I walk into Forbidden Planet. It's one of my favourite bookstores ever (the one in Cambridge is great as well), they are well known for their vast array of Graphic Novels, Comic Books & Manga but they also sell a huge amount of YA, Fantasy and Sci-Fi. I adore this shop and could happily spend hours in here and spend a small fortune. However, on this particular day, I didn't have either the time nor the money! 

I've already read the first instalment of The Wicked & The Divine and I adored the artwork, it's absolutely beautiful in the way in which it is illustrated and the story is strange, enticing and mysterious. I really enjoyed the first part and I felt like it finished in such a way that I just had to buy the next in the series. 

If you like stories that are shrouded in mystery and unanswered questions and beautiful artwork, then you will love this graphic novel. 


Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch - £0.00 - Foyles
Once we had finished in Forbidden planet we then went on to Foyles. I always insist on browsing the entire store even though I know deep down that I'm only going to end up buying YA. On the day we were there Grayson Perry was doing a book signing a few hours later so we were lucky to miss the rush of fans -  but it's also alerted me to the fact that Grayson has a book out and I really need it in my life.

I picked up this book at the recommendation (read: fangirling) of my lovely pal Ash over at aislingsbeautybytes.blogspot.co.uk. She loved this book and highly recommended it, so as I wholeheartedly trust her opinion I decided it was worth picking up and adding to the overwhelming pile of books to read.

From what I can grasp this is a book with a strong female lead who basically has to restore magic to her kingdom so it can rise to power again. It sounds pretty epic and has a rather impressive 4.01 rating on Goodreads (out of 30,323 ratings) so I have high hopes for this.


Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo - £0.00 - Foyles
This was another recommendation from Ash and is one that I have heard SO much about in the book world due to the sequel "Crooked Kingdom" coming out at the end of September. I know this is set in the Grisha world and many people suggest that reading the Grisha Trilogy by Leigh Bardugo first is perhaps a more sensible idea rather than jumping into the world unprepared. 

I do own the first in the Grisha Trilogy so that's probably what I'm going to do, but I'm really excited to get my teeth stuck into such a dense and rich world. 

This is about a group of six different criminals/outcasts who have been tasked to perform a deadly heist that may well make them rich beyond their wildest dreams. This sounds so fun, so unusual and I think it will be a real page turner! I'm going to start the Grisha Trilogy in December as I just can't wait any longer! 


Stealing Snow by Danielle Paige - £0.00 - Waterstones
I'm a huge fan of Danielle Paige's work, I love the Dorothy Must Die series (although I haven't finished it as I'm waiting for "Yellow Brick War" to become available in paperback!) so when I heard that she was releasing another fairy tale retelling but this time it was one of my favourite stories - The Snow Queen - I was absolutely over the moon. 

Can we take a minute to appreciate the beauty of that cover? Have you ever seen a book more appropriate for the Christmas season? I really do think the U.K cover has got the edge on the U.S cover this time!  

This is probably one of the most interesting plots for a novel that I've come across in a long time. The main character Snow has spent her life locked in a Psychiatric Hospital but she isn't crazy. Instead, she finds a way to escape the hospital only to find that she has a kingdom to inherit and a prophecy to complete. 

This is another book that I'm almost certainly going to indulge myself with in December. 

So that's it! It wasn't a huge haul and the day went far too quickly for my liking but it was brilliant and I can't wait to go back to London soon (hopefully for a job!) although I'm sure my bank balance will once again suffer!

Share:

1 comment

© Bambi's Blogs | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig