Wednesday 19 October 2016

How To Relax



It sounds like something that anyone can do, right? Wrong. Many of us (myself included), that suffer from anxiety or other mental health problems, find it really difficult to just switch off and relax. 

So to get you in the mood for relaxation, go grab yourself a beverage of your choice (hot drinks advisable), put on some really comfy socks because who doesn't love that?  and get yourself warm and cosy or as I like to say, snug as a bug in a rug. 

1. Plan to relax - That's a bit of an oxymoron I know, but sometimes it is essential to physically plan out a block of time to just relax and de-stress for the day. I personally, will keep on working and doing things until I basically fall asleep at my desk, so I force myself leave the laptop at 5-6pm and call it a day. However, if I didn't force this into my schedule, you can bet that I would be sitting at my laptop from 9am - 11pm working on blog posts, scheduling tweets and applying for jobs - this is not healthy. 

2. Create a relaxing environment - If your surrounding environment is stressful then you're not going to be able to relax that is just common sense. I find that creating a calm relaxing environment is key here. I personally like to have plants, candles and fairy lights as well as lots of soft furnishings to keep my environment relaxing and peaceful. As I'm living at home and my bedroom also doubles up as my office, I like to only use my laptop and do work at my desk, whilst I relax and read on my bed. It's always good to keep your working place and resting place as separate as possible. 

3. Find a past-time that relaxes you - Find something you can do that puts you in a relaxed state. For me, it's reading or drawing, but for you, it could be anything. Find out what makes you feel serene and allow yourself a couple hours a day to enjoy it.

4. Get enough sleep -  It's very difficult to relax your mind if you're sleep deprived, if you can, try to aim for 8 hours sleep a night to give your brain a rest. If you have difficulties sleeping then try to spend those hours when you should be asleep resting, stay in bed, keep the lights off and try to give your eyes and brain as much of a rest as possible. I found when I was suffering from insomnia, that if I got stressed about not sleeping it only made the whole thing worse! Instead, I learnt to accept my insomnia and eventually it went away as quickly as it came.

5. Laugh - Whether it takes being with friends & family, or being alone and watching a comedy. Laughter really can be the best medicine. That feeling when you've laughed so much you've had tears streaming down your face is pure contentment and if you can do something to include laughter into your life then you're on the right road for relaxation.

Share:

2 comments

  1. Sleep is such an important thing for me, personally get very cranky with not enough sleep!
    Kathy x
    www.alongcamekathy.blogspot.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true! I love sleeping... So relaxing... X

    ReplyDelete

© Bambi's Blogs | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig