Thursday 7 January 2016

Why I'm Ditching The Scales In 2016



You know when you have a great idea for a photo and you take but but it turns out crap, but you have no other option? Yeah. That happened. 

For years I have been a slave to the scales. Obsessing over every little pound but seemingly always gaining weight regardless of how much I try to micromanage my diet. I've tried weighing myself after every meal, every day, twice a week, once a week, once a month.No matter how much I've tried to hold off I've always felt that urge to weigh myself and judge how well or badly I've done by the number looking back at me. 

I've had enough. 

Do you know what I've come to realise. That number means fuck all about me. Does that number mean any more or less than the number of twitter followers I have? Or the number of page views I get? No. No it doesn't. Because that number on the scales that I berate myself over is just a stat. It's just a measurement of mass. It doesn't take into account bone density, water weight or muscle mass. It's not the whole picture.  

It's just a number. 

I am someone that obsesses over numbers. I can't tell you how pleased I was when I reached an all time high of 300 views in a day earlier this week (I mean literally ecstatic) but it doesn't mean all 300 people enjoyed what they read? That number just like the one on the scales is seriously lacking important information. 

Why I'm ditching the scales. 

In 2016 it is one of my personal goals to get fitter. I've not written it down officially but it's just a little promise to myself to at least try and shift some of this Uni weight that has accumulated over the past 3 years. As I made that promise, I started to think when I should take my starting weight? Then I came up with the crazy idea of ... "how about I don't?" I know roughly how much I weighed after Christmas (The top end of 13st) so why do I need to weigh myself again only to demotivate myself by realising I've put on another 6 lbs over Christmas. Quite frankly the weight I was pre-Christmas was enough of a kick up the bum. I don't need any more pressure! 

I've pledged to myself that I will not weigh myself until at least the 1st March, instead every Monday I'm going to take a full body photo so I can compare each week how I look, and  I will be writing a Fitness update every month to compare how I feel. Because how I look and how I feel are so much more important and integral to getting fitter than the number staring back at me. 

And hey, if I don't want to weight myself when it gets to March, guess what. I won't.  I'm denouncing all former love for those judgemental little numbers and I'm reinstating some self love. 

If you fancy it why don't you ditch the scales this year! 
Let me know if you do, I would love to hear how you get on! 

Share:

10 comments

  1. This is such a great and healthy approach to getting fitter. The numbers on scales are so irrelevant anyway, a lot of the time when you get fitter/more muscle you actually get heavier! I'm going to try this too; I've just hidden my scales away so I can focus on how I FEEL instead. Thanks for your post!

    http://eggplantemoji.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emma! Yes! I'm glad this has inspired you to ditch the scales! :D xx

      Delete
  2. Love the sound of this. It's more than enough stepping on the scales every couple of months to see how everything's going, but we have to remember it's just a number ;) xx
    Gyudy @ Gyudy's Notes Of Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Gyudy! It's just a insignificant number! We all need to stop focusing on "Goal weights" and start thinking more about loving how we look and feel! xx

      Delete
  3. I'm with you on this one. I actually ditched the scales a few years back and it felt so great not to be obsessed by numbers. I recently picked up a scales as I started going to the gym and wanted to see my progress. But I'm back to the beginning obsessing over every single pound so I am putting it away again and instead focusing on getting fit & feeling great :). Here's to a great 2016! x

    Beauty with charm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great!! Yes don't let those numbers rule you! Thank you for reading Alina! xx

      Delete
  4. Yes! I love this post. It couldn't be more true. Numbers don't define who the hell we are or how we actually feel inside. I love your intake on the new year fitness goals.

    -Shannon
    www.onthelists.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Shannon! Being obsessed by numbers is quite ridiculous when you actually think about it! Thank you so much! xx

      Delete
  5. I loved reading this post, this is exactly how i feel. Ever since i got into fitness i never focused on losing weight as a means to get the number down, it's about being fit and toned and feeling good in your own skin.

    www.themakeupaficionado.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah exactly! Glad you enjoyed the post! xx

      Delete

© Bambi's Blogs | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig